Critical Readings: Sport, Culture And The Media (Issues In Cultural And Media Studies (Paperback))
Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Critical Readings: Sport, Culture and the Media contains a broad range of essays on the relationships between sport, culture and the media. Featuring a mixture of classic works and recent texts, the Reader provides students, lecturers and researchers with an essential core of readings on the topic.
The readings examine media and sport in Europe, North and South America, Australia, Asia and Africa and explore topics such as:
- Sport as entertainment: the role of mass communications
- The manufacture of sports news for the daily press
- The televised sports manhood formula
- Women, sport and globalization
- Sport on the information superhighway
- Advertising sportswear to black audiences
- Mega-events and media culture: sport and the Olympics
John Amis, David L. Andrews, Ketra L. Armstrong, Frank B. Ashley, Joan Chandler, George B. Cunningham, Michele Dunbar, Laurel Davis, John Goldlust, Darnell Hunt, Kyle W. Kusz, James F. Larson, Geoffrey Lawrence, Mark D. Lowes, David McGimpsey, Jim McKay, Miquel de Moragas Sp, Michael A. Messner, Toby Miller, Robert E. Rinehart, Nancy K. Rivenburgh, David Rowe, Maurice Roche, Michael Sagas, Michael Silk, Trevor Slack, Deborah Stevenson, Brian Stoddart, Lawrence A. Wenner, Brian J. Wrigley