The Active Learner: Successful Study Strategies
- Publish Date: 2000-09-01
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Sallie A. Brown;Douglas E. Miller
Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
This text offers a metacognitive approach that develops students' awareness of their thought processes and guides them through changes in their study strategies, attitudes, and habits. Students learn more in less time and with greater ease and confidence. Importantly, the book's modular format accommodates the emerging needs of any learning environment. Practice exercises are keyed to two new text excerpts. Together with an array of study-reading techniques, the authors introduce proven strategies for vocabulary building, memory improvement, test-taking skills, and library research strategies. The book incorporates the latest research in learning theory and features an array of optional strategies, resulting in great flexibility of presentation and application for instructors. The authors consider student goals, lifestyles, and learning styles as factors that affect student understanding. Students take brief diagnostic surveys followed by guided practice in strategies to improve performance on certain tasks. The Third Edition offers the following additional improvements:
* A new chapter that easily guides students through the stages of researching and writing a term paper.
* A new glossary section.
* A new chapter for creating a personal study profile.
* A revised section for finding sources in the library, including suggestions for efficient online searches.
* A journal entry at the end of each chapter.